Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Irish Brown Bread

We made this for St Patrick's day and the kids loved it! They loved picking the crusty crust off and eating it! This makes a crusty dense loaf. I found the recipe somewhere else, but tweaked it a little to make it my own! (I like to do that!) 2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour 1 1/2 cups oats 2 Tbsp wheat germ 1 tsp baking soda 1 tsp salt 2 Tbsp sugar 2 1/4 cups buttermilk (I always put a little vinegar in measuring cup and then add milk and let it sit while mixing everything else, easy and I don't have to run to the store for buttermilk) Heat oven to 400 degrees Mix dry ingredients with hands and add buttermilk. The dough will be wet and sticky. Dust hands with flour and shape dough into a ball. Score a deep x at the top of the ball, widening it with knife. Place on floured cookie sheet. Bake for 50 minutes to golden brown. Cool on wire rack 10 minutes.

No comments: